Fabio Jakobsen gained his first Grand Tour stage since struggling critical accidents in a crash final yr with a bunch dash victory on the Vuelta a Espana.
The Dutchman, 24, held off Arnaud Demare and Magnus Cort to assert an emotional win on stage 4 in Molina de Aragon.
Jakobsen sustained extreme head accidents on the 2020 Tour of Poland in a crash with Jumbo-Visma’s Dylan Groenewegen.
“It is a dream come true for me,” mentioned Deceuninck-Fast-Step rider Jakobsen.
“After the crash it was a great distance again, however I am blissful to be right here. It took numerous effort and time.
“I used to be helped by numerous different folks and that is additionally their victory. The medical doctors, surgeons, and medical workers, the staff, that is additionally their victory.
“That is additionally my household’s victory. They’re the explanation I am right here.”
Jakobsen was put in a medically-induced coma after the crash and underwent several months of facial reconstruction surgery.
He returned to racing in April and claimed his first win because the horrific incident on stage two of the Tour de Wallonie in July, additionally successful the fifth stage of that race.
Jakobsen gained two phases of the Vuelta in 2019.
His win on stage 4 of this yr’s version additionally noticed him declare the inexperienced factors jersey.
Total race chief Rein Taaramae crashed late on however stays on the high of the overall classification standings as a result of his fall occurred within the final 3km of the stage.
The Estonian leads France’s Kenny Elissonde by 25 seconds, with Olympic time trial champion Primoz Roglic of Slovenia 5 seconds additional again.
The 2021 Vuelta runs till 5 September.
Stage 4 outcomes
- Fabio Jakobsen (Ned/Deceuninck-Fast-Step) 3hrs 43mins 07secs
- Arnaud Demare (Fra/Groupama-FDJ) Identical time
- Magnus Cort (Den/EF Schooling-Nippo)
- Alberto Dainese (Ita/Staff DSM)
- Michael Matthews (Aus/Staff Bike-Alternate)
- Piet Allegaert (Bel/Cofidis)
- Jordi Meeus (Bel/Bora-Hansgrohe)
- Matteo Trentin (Ita/UAE Staff Emirates)
- Jasper Philipsen (Bel/Alpecin-Fenix)
- Riccardo Minali (Ita/Intermarche-Wanty-Gobert-Materiaux)
Common classification after stage 4
- Rein Taaramae (Est/Intermarche-Wanty-Gobert-Materiaux) 13hrs 08mins 51secs
- Kenny Elissonde (Fra/Trek-Segafredo) +25secs
- Primoz Roglic (Slo/Jumbo-Visma) +30secs
- Lilian Calmejane (Fra/AG2R Citroen) +35secs
- Enric Mas (Spa/Movistar) +45secs
- Miguel Angel Lopez (Col/Movistar) +51secs
- Alejandro Valverde (Spa/Movistar) +57secs
- Giulio Ciccone (Ita/Trek-Segafredo) Identical time
- Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers)
- Mikel Landa (Spa/Bahrain-Victorious) +1min 09secs