Fabio Jakobsen’s spectacular return from severe damage continued with victory on stage eight of the Vuelta a Espana.
He was left with extreme head accidents on the 2020 Tour of Poland after being pushed into the limitations by Jumbo-Visma’s Dylan Groenewegen in a dash.
Slovenia’s Primoz Roglic retained his general lead, ending with the opposite normal classification contenders.
Jakobsen solely returned to racing in April, eight months after being put in a medically-induced coma after the crash, for which he wanted a number of months of facial reconstruction surgical procedure.
Italy’s Alberto Dainese and Belgian Jasper Philipsen got here second and third respectively within the dash end to the 173m flat experience from Santa Pola to La Manga del Mar Menor.
Stage eight outcomes:
1. Fabio Jakobsen (Ned/Deceuninck-Fast-Step) 3hrs 56mins 05secs
2. Alberto Dainese (Ita/Staff DSM) similar time
3. Jasper Philipsen (Bel/Alpecin-Fenix)
4. Jordi Meeus (Bel/Bora-Hansgrohe)
5. Itamar Einhorn (Isr/Israel Begin-Up Nation)
6. Arnaud Démare (Fra/Groupama – FDJ)
7. Michael Matthews (Aus/Staff BikeExchange)
8. Martin Laas (Est/Bora-Hansgrohe)
9. Piet Allegaert (Bel/Cofidis)
10. Jon Aberasturi (Esp/ Caja Rural – Seguros RGA)
Normal classification after stage eight
1. Primož Roglic (Slo/Jumbo – Visma) 29hrs 14mins 40secs
2. Felix Grosschartner (Aut/Bora-Hansgrohe) +8secs
3. Enric Mas (Esp/Movistar) +25secs
4. Miguel Ángel López (Col/Movistar) +36secs
5. Jan Polanc (Slo/UAE Staff Emirates) +38secs
6. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos Grenadiers) +41secs
7. Jack Haig (Aus/Bahrain Victorious) +57secs
8. Sepp Kuss (USA/Jumbo – Visma) +59secs
9. Aleksandr Vlasov (Rus/Astana – Premier Tech) +1min 06secs
10. Adam Yates (GB/Ineos Grenadiers) +1min 22secs